Tuesday, November 24, 2009

ESOM Response...SMH.

Good evening, beautiful people! I pray that everyone enjoyed their weekend, in spite of the Cowboys win/Redskins loss. Seriously, I would like to address something that has really been bothering my spirit lately. Okay, I'm sure that most of you have heard Jay-Z's latest album, "The Blueprint 3". If not, you might've heard his single with Alicia Keys, "Empire State Of Mind". Their collaboration has been performed at a benefit concert that Jay held as a tribute to 9/11 victims and heroes, at the VMAs, and most recently, at the AMAs. It is now number ONE on the Billboard Top 100, the first of his many singles to hold this position. Acknowledgements aside, there is one particular line in the song that has made devout Christians everywhere quite angry, and understandably so: in the third verse, Jay-Z says "and Jesus can't save you, life starts when the church ends". I'll admit that at first, I brushed the line off and let it slide, considering that Jay is masterful when it comes to using double entendres and this was just another one in his collection. But the Holy Spirit started to convict me about being so nonchalant about it. Have I become so numb to hip-hop's often blasphemous tactics that I can just disregard a blatant shot at Jesus without a second thought? Wow, I really need to repent...real talk. As distraught as I was about the whole thing, I was inspired to come out of my lyrical stupor to share my thoughts in rhyme form. Here it is:

I think it's time you reconsidered your metaphors/
Especially the ones that take aim at the sovereign Lord/
Have you become so elevated in stature/
That you would curse the God who's gonna activate the Rapture/
Sanctification must've exited your mind/
'Cause nothing but blasphemy exudes from your rhymes/
Even the most devoted Christians will not deny that you're prolific/
But all your writtens do is bear false witness/
Call your album "Contrary Doctrine"/
If you "care" about your "health", "public" repentance should be your "option"/
The audacity you have to steal the glory from Christ/
Should be recanted before He cancels eternal life/
Believers, claim your allegiance/
Pray for the brother who boldly says "Peace God" while rocking Jesus pieces/
Send this truth to the harlots and virgins/
Jesus CAN save you, life starts when the Church BEGINS/

I just wanna say to the people that follow Jay-Z and listen to his songs religiously: please BE CAREFUL. Really study the Word of God and see what the Lord says. We are truly in the last days, and there are many false prophets out there that will blatantly claim their devotion to Satan. And I can care less if the line was meant to have a double meaning or whatever...you really have to watch what you say about Jesus because God WILL hold you accountable. SMH. Let us continue to pray for Jay-Z and every rapper out there and also, let us examine ourselves to be sure that we are in right standing with God. Deuces!

John 14:6
Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.

Acts 4:12
There is salvation in no one else! God has given no other name under heaven by which we must be saved.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! I haven't heard his album or the song, but that is awful Kenny. That's one way for the devil to try and slowly delete Jesus from the mind of others. It's up for us as Christians to not just brush it off and acknowledge it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't listened to Jay-Z's album or this song in particular, simply because I honestly believe that he's anti-God & anti-religion...that's obvious in all of his lyrics. It's important that we are careful of what we listen to...we cannot afford to brush these things off because at the end of the day when Jesus comes back for the world He will know that we heard what was said, didn't defend Him & allowed this man to throw dirt on Jesus' sacrifice, what He has done for us & can do for all those who acknowledge our father, God in heaven, as the Most High God & the only God. Great post.

    ReplyDelete